Weekly Update – 12/11/2019
Dear all, Following our action packed October half-term, last week proved a great start to the run up to Christmas:
- Head Start – it was very exciting to launch our new Head Start programme, delivering group mentoring sessions to Year 6’s in local Primary Schools. This follows on from the importance we have recognised over the years in working with the lower end of our 11-18 age range. Students at Stephen Freeman and Willowcroft Primary Schools engaged excellently in the sessions delivered around promoting wellbeing and mental health. We look forward to observing each growing and developing over the coming 6 weeks in their self-esteem and emotional wellbeing.
- Young Men’s – a representative from drugs, alcohol and gambling support service Aquarius, delivered a fantastic session with the young men about the risks associated with substance misuse and harm reduction.
- Participation – many young people got involved in art and crafts and discussing ideas in preparation for the Christmas Street Fair. This also included going out their comfort zones to visit local businesses to ask for donations and support, which we were very grateful to receive brilliant responses from.
- Detached and Outreach – lots of young people were met around the town after school and in the evenings, with a large degree of interest from new young people to come to sessions.
- Dinner and Debate – young people had fun playing the debate focused game ‘The World Cup of Everything’ and also offered their ideas on rules to be followed in sessions by forming a group contract. All took this very seriously, the majority even being enthusiastic to ban the use of phones during sessions!
Keep an eye on our staff Facebook pages for updates on all we get up to this week. With this week being the annual Children in Need Appeal Week, we are particularly looking forward to being interviewed on BBC Radio Oxford Thursday morning to discuss the valuable support we have received from CIN over the year!Thank you for reading. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or if you wish to sign up to receiving email reminders for the Weekly Update and/or our monthly newsletter. Kind regards, the TRAIN Team