Weekly Update – 26/05/2020
We hope you all had a lovely bank holiday weekend or found some time to rest in the week if you were busy working.
On the note of self-care, last week our provision was largely focused around Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW), raising awareness to young people around:
- The importance in being mindful of their wellbeing
- Practices and coping strategies to support their mental health (MW)
- Where they can go for support
- The importance in looking out for others so we can all support each other’s wellbeing – kindness being the theme for the week this year
Activities we got up to around the topic included:
- Instagram Polls and a Kahoots! quiz – testing young people on their knowledge around MH on a societal scale.
- Interactive worksheet – encouraging young people to have a more in depth think about MH and what it means to them, whilst including lots of useful information on the above areas.
- Instagram lives – lots of young people tuned in and offered ideas for Friday night’s live which saw Charlotte doing a ‘behind the mask’ themed make up live to visualise the damaging impact ill MH can cause, even if it’s not as clear to see as physical health conditions.
- Art/writing competition – based around the idea of turning negative thoughts into positive thoughts!
- Art tutorials – demonstrating positive activities young people can try out to support their MH and wellbeing.
- 7 Days of Kindness Challenge – we took part a kindness challenge a day challenge, which we hope those of you who spotted it on our social media pages enjoyed doing too!
Together with lots of 1:1 conversations with young people through staff’s regular check in’s and our structured mentoring sessions, it was a great week.
We are going to have lots on over the half term week to get involved in. If you are aware of a young person who may benefit, a reminder that they just need to add @Justina TRAIN, Charlotte TRAIN and Harry TRAIN’s professional accounts on Facebook and Instagram. Please take a look at the following page for further details on our current provision. An additional reminder of the spaces we have available for our FREE 1:1 structured mentoring sessions – please click here for further info and we would love to hear from you if you have any questions!
If you have any questions over the coming days, feel free to get in touch and if you would like to be added to our mailing list to receive email notifications for the monthly newsletter and/or weekly update, please let us know.
It’s been really quite inspiring to see so many amazing acts of kindness throughout the lockdown period, but we hope MHAW has inspired you all even more so in continuing to spread this support and positivity, or even to do so that little bit more… But as well as to be firm in giving yourselves time to unwind and take care of your own wellbeings too!
Take care all and keep positive.
The TRAIN Team