We are particuarly looking for support with this aspect of our work for Friday afternoons and/or evenings, but please still get in touch with us if you are interested but only available at alternative times.
Key aspects of the role:
- To assist the Youth Worker in facilitating the detached sessions with the Young People on Friday afternoons (2-4pm) and/or evenings (7:30-9pm)
- To demonstrate listening skills and support young people in accessing TRAIN.
- The ability to build positive rapport with young people.
- Consistently follow our Policies and the Safeguarding Policy, ensuring that you feed any concerns up to the Youth Worker.
- Be able to work dynamically and think fast on the go.
- Able to respect confidentiality
- Capacity to solve problems and learn new skills
- Commit to a weekly session as stated above.
- Commit to at least 6 months.
- To have a passion to work with and help young people in need.
- Listening skills and a non-judgmental attitude towards young people.
- To value and practice good team work.
- An ability to empathise with young people at risk.
- Treat all young people with respect and dignity.
- Work within our Health and Safety guidelines and Policies for working with young people.
- To attend essential training to help with development.
- Around 2.5 hours per session.
- To attend the volunteer meeting once a quarter.
- To assist on occasional residential outings and trips out with the young people. (optional)
- Previous experience of working with young people at risk.
- To attend additional training which would be beneficial to your role as a Volunteer for TRAIN
The above are all desirables but we don't expect everyone to meet these points.
Therefore, if you possess values & behaviours which:
- Demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for the charity and its vision, and have a capacity to motivate and empower others to empathetically achieve agreed goals.
- Show compassion, caring and sympathy/empathy for young people.
- Demonstrate some understanding of the troubles faced by young people.
- Have an appreciation of volunteerism and volunteer culture and supporting and nurturing.
- Prove satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced with list checks
You will be given an induction and training at the start of working with TRAIN.
You will also be expected to complete an enhanced DBS check and application form for working as a volunteer for TRAIN.
To apply please fill in our application form at http://goo.gl/TnX7vg">http://goo.gl/TnX7vg. If you are successful in your application the volunteer coordinator will be in touch to arrange an informal meeting. Our volunteer application process can be found https://www.didcottrain.org.uk/how-you-can-help/volunteering-with-train